Saturday, 6 February 2016

Tailstock unbroken

I fixed the tailstock on my lathe today. I drilled out the brass pins from the tailstock quill with a 6.5mm drill then used a 1/4" slot drill to make location holes in the ram nut. I then turned some brass down to a little over 1/4" for the replacement pins.

I then put some loctite bearing retaining compound on the sides of the holes (to accommodate the slightly oversize holes in the quill) and pressed the pins in place. This meant that once the loctite has set I could use the lathe to remove the excess on the locating pins.

So I ended up using my lathe to fix my lathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment